Salvation full & free.

on November 2, 2010
Today is special. It's my birthday!

You're crazy. Your birthday is in August.

True. But today is my second birthday. :) The day Will & I sat on the bench between Raley & the cross and I accepted Christ. The day that suddenly and unexpectedly changed everything. It all feels so far away and at the same time so short. Seven years.

Therefore I see this as a perfect day to list my top 5 hymns. :) I had been mentally trying to track my favorite hymns for awhile, but with the exception of a few, it was a lot harder to nail down than I anticipated it to be. Nonetheless...

Top 5 Traditional Hymns
5) Day by Day
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.


I admit, the fifth slot could be filled with several songs. My Lord is Near Me All the Time sometimes knocks it out of place. I still find Just As I Am absolutely beautiful. But the concept of Day by Day and its lyrics continually reminding you of God's hour-by-hour protection and guidance and care and the simplicity of the melody usually makes it an unexpected favorite of mine. The lyric "The protection of His child and treasure is a charge that on Himself He laid" originally warmed up my heart to the song and the rest has just followed suit.

4) When I Survey The Wonderous Cross
See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

I don't know anyone that doesn't love this song, actually... (if I'm wrong, let me know.) It's a knockout. I'm actually at a loss as to why I should explain why because it seems so self explanatory. It's just a gorgeous song, lyrically, musically and spiritually. It encompasses so much of the worth of Christ versus the rags we can offer.

3) This is My Father's World
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.


Hilltop is probably convinced this is my favorite (its often very close). We don't sing it enough for my satisfaction so whenever Carolyn takes requests and I haven't spoken up in awhile I always suggest it. :) I had to pull two verses to show you why - it really sums up so much of my favorite aspects of God. His creation, His sovereignty, His justice & goodness & His presence. All wrapped up in three verses.
And in particular, I think it lyrically paints perfect images of His creation. ("All nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres" never fails to win me over.) I love this because I've had more theological conversations while watching Animal Planet or Planet Earth or Blue Planet or visiting the zoo or.... My friends and I are often overwhelmed by God's abilities to design and sustain this world. That's just what really brings it out in us. And I love that. His world is beautiful.

2) Because He Lives
Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
because He lives all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future
and life is worth the living just because He lives.


I just raved on Fathers World and somehow it sits at #3? That's because I actually lean on this song more. I've struggled a lot with fear over the years and this song can totally destroy that hold over me. All the reminders of His control in this song settle me.
And while in the middle of struggling with depression so long ago and wondering if things would ever get better, I can assure you that realizing the truth of the line "and life is worth the living just because He lives" takes on a much more profound meaning. If there is absolutely no other reason, if everything has shattered, somehow life is still worth living...just because He lives.

1) Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
I could post this whole song. In fact, I think I will. There's nothing in this song I can exempt. Lyrically & musically alone, it's lovely. Its imagery is beautiful. Its overwhelmingly honest ("prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love"), reminds us of how far we continually fall ("O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be") and yet speaks volumes of Christ's love for us ("Jesus sought me when I stranger wandering from the fold of God...").
No. While others often come close, there is no doubt this one remains top of my list. :)

Come, thou Fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it, mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure, safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger, wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, Lord take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.

0 comments:

Post a Comment