Where hydrants are open and cool breezes flow.

on October 27, 2010
Here are some meandering discoveries around the net for you.

I was so sad to read first thing this morning that In the Heights was closing. What a beautiful show and even though it had a good run, I still feel like it's closing so soon. Miranda will be returning to the show to finish out its run. Wow.
Hey! Miranda, we want to see a new show in the works from you as well.
"I illuminate the stories of the people in the street. Some have happy endings, some are bittersweet, but I love them all and that's what makes my life complete."

Um...really? "Fermilab is Building a 'Holometer'"
Researchers at Fermilab are building a “holometer” so they can disprove everything you thought you knew about the universe. More specifically, they are trying to either prove or disprove the somewhat mind-bending notion that the third dimension doesn’t exist at all, and that the 3-D universe we think we live in is nothing more than a hologram. To do so, they are building the most precise clock ever created.

This is absolutely gorgeous. An astrophotographer calculated where and when the sky would be the very darkest (he chose Atacama desert, Chile) and went there to snap photos of what it would be like. The images are breathtaking.
The Darkest Sky: 360 panorama of the Milky Way
The rim of light surrounding the full-sky views isn’t sunlight or light form nearby cities, but actually the galaxy itself. Guisard also took measures to time the photo so as to minimize this light as well.

Apparently NASA & DARPA are planning a hundred year starship which would "send astronauts to Mars with the intention of staying for the rest of their lives, as trailblazers for a permanent Mars colony....they would get periodic supply missions, but they would be expected to fend for themselves for water, shelter, nutrients and mineral/chemical processing. They would be expected to develop some kind of homegrown Martian industry, which could ultimately serve as a hub for an expanded colonization program."

Whaaat? Paul the Octopus is dead?? I loved you Paul! Rest in peace my crazy octopus friend.

Thanks to Will I've discovered the word mamihlapinatapai! (mah-may-la-pin-ya-tah-pay, if I got it right, according to this song.) It's from the language Yaghan in Chile.
It is "listed in The Guinness Book of World Records as the 'most succinct word,' and is considered one of the hardest words to translate. It describes 'a look shared by two people with each wishing that the other will initiate something that they both desire but which neither one wants to start.'"
Supposedly, the Yaghan language is only spoken by one person left in the world, an elderly woman in Chile. Amy, I expect to see this in your homeschooling lessons this week.

Now the exciting part: BATMAN NEWS!
Honestly, this title kind of surprises me, but I'll warm up to it. Quite frankly, I'm so happy that I might finally have a complete, fantastic Batman trilogy that I could live with whatever the title may be. I'm also surprised he's revealing it so early. But there's some more exciting news revealed in the article as well. No spoilers here, click if you're interested. I'm so excited! The movie's not out until July 2012, so will someone have an early marathon with me?
Nolan Reveals Title of Third Batman

Update on Tate: My cousins are still in Ethiopia, but Sunday morning I had an opportunity to Skype with them! I had never Skyped before, so it was really interesting. It was also wonderful to meet Tate as well as see and hear Brian & Shannon and what they think of Ethiopia. They mentioned the marketplace and suddenly I was flooded with memories! :) Please keep them in your prayers as they wait for their embassy date.

0 comments:

Post a Comment