Summer Movies: "Mermaids, Jack."

on May 21, 2011
This post has started out in many ways.

First off, it was going to be all about Pirates 4: On Stranger Tides which I just saw tonight. So let's start with that.

When I first heard they were going to make a fourth Pirates, I thought "You have got to be kidding me. This is ridiculous. I'm done."
Fast forward: somehow I end up watching it on opening night in 3D Imax? (Sigh. Trailers. You can get me every time.)

That being said, it's fun. Its a standard Pirates movie. Action-adventure, quips, lots of sword fighting. I enjoyed it. And the visual effects are really outstanding - the Fountain itself & the mermaids are top notch.

Which is also what drew me in. Mermaids.

Its still not too far off the mark sometimes, but when I was little I was obsessed with fantastical. Girly fantastical. My playhouse was lined in unicorn wallpaper. Fairies conspired in trees. And when I grew up I wanted to be a mermaid. Now unicorns are still beautiful and fairies are still things of wonder - but mermaids, ah. Mermaids are still my deep-seated favorite fantastical creature. Good, evil - whether being lovely or dragging men to the bottom of the sea, somehow they still capture my attention. And I was glad to see them used in the Pirates lore and handled so well.
--------------------------
By the way, I think its terrible to have the headline Spiderman Writer signs on for Carrie remake on Playbill and not have it be referencing the musical version. That's unfair.

Apparently, there's a movie remake of Carrie in the works. Sigh.

Also, aren't the Tonys sometime soon? Anyone know anything about them this year? All my knowledge includes is that The Book of Mormon gathered the highest praises and most noms. Anything else?
-------------------------
And then: such excitement.

(Note: Potential spoilers included in the link.)

I settled in at the house for a standard flip through the web. Email. Facebook. CNN. Superherohy--.

FIRST LOOK AT TOM HARDY AS BANE?! Whaaaaaaaaaaat??

I mean, we've been getting lots of news. They announced more casting tonight and that production had officially begun. The first photos of filming have been leaked.
But this? This is a whole another level of awesome. I wasn't expecting to see this yet. I couldn't believe I had missed this until midnight.
(I'm just now beginning to think I might get some sleep tonight.)

So its good to know the viral campaigning for the final movie looks to be as awesome and spot on as the first two. I can't wait for July 20, 2012. I'm hoping to relish all the tidbits they drop throughout the year.

And its also good to know my happy dance still involves lots of bouncing up and down. Because happy dances can evolve over the years and you never know until you have need for one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment