The Bond Experiment #1: Bond. James Bond.

on May 31, 2011
Tonight I saw my first James Bond movie.

It started a few weeks ago when Brad was discussing how he'd like to watch the "best of the best" of a certain genre to potentially discover the "all time best" in that specific subject. "Like James Bond," he said "I'd like to watch all the James Bond movies in order and see which one is the best." ("Oh!" I said "Like Godzilla movies!" but he hasn't quite got on board with that one yet.)

I also explained that I had never watched a James Bond movie. Which, really, is a shame considering how entrenched they are in our pop culture.

So tonight we began our expedition with the beginning: Dr. No.

Brief thoughts:

First off, can I say how incredibly epic the James Bond theme is? I had heard it before, but obviously never in conjunction with the movies and its so perfect. No wonder its become such an icon.

It's really amusing to watch a 60's movie now, especially since I haven't watched many before. Everything from the wildly bouncing openings credits to the red vinyl doors to not always quite catching what the actors are saying (and by the way, still looking pretty awesome on blu-ray.)

And I really liked suave Sean Connery.

Brad warned me this movie begins a tradition of Bond villains missing body parts. Something about biting through steel? I'm looking forward to it. 21 more films to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment