The Bond Experiment #3 & 4: Goldfinger & Thunderball

on June 15, 2011
First off: Brad has fixed my computer. He's a genius. I'm much happier and very grateful.

And hey! We got some movie watching done!
(For your reference, Sean Connery is still our James Bond.)

Goldfinger was first up. I've been most excited about this one since it's usually referred to as the quintessential Bond movie. It seems to be the one that really furthered the franchise. I finally heard the theme song that people have sung to me every time its mentioned ("Oh yeah! That's the one with 'Gooooldfiiiinger....'") and have been introduced to Pussy Galore & Oddjob. Who is indeed, very odd. I mean. Who actually stays with an atomic bomb after its been initiated? Apparently, this guy.

Distinct lessening of the James Bond theme in this movie, mostly replaced with the title theme. Both were nicely used.

Also, is this the beginning of ejector seats in cars? I was curious. I should look that up.

But I was disappointed. He does not actually turn people into gold with his finger. Sigh.

So this was amusing.
One of the reasons we started this project is because all but the first three movies were on Netflix instant play. The ease of access was a major perk. We even double checked a few weeks ago. So tonight when we went to pull up Thunderball, and um, you guessed it... suddenly they're rotated off instant play. Ha! I mean, come on. So we considered for a few minutes. I suggested I could get a membership at the one local rental place in town if they had the movies. After a few minutes of disappointed searching, we finally discovered them off to the side and voila! We're back in progress.

I actually can't remember the theme to the fourth one and I just watched it. So I see why Goldfinger was so catchy. Nonetheless, I think I liked Thunderball better. Mostly because it includes a lot of underwater sequences (underwater fist fighting! yes!). There are sharks.
Also, essentially two groups charge each other in battle. Under. Water.

Thunderball is about one fight sequence too long, but other than that I really enjoyed it. (Bond Girl: Domino.)

General Note: I also really like the interactions between Bond & Q & Money Penny. Those are some fun relationships.

Next on the list: You Only Live Twice which Brad warned me is strange. Hm.

Top 5:
1. Thunderball
2. Goldfinger
3. From Russia, With Love
4. Dr. No

Hey look! We're almost to a full top five!

(I keep trying to decide on whether 2 & 3 should be switched. They may be in the future, but I think I liked Goldfinger better overall.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment