Game of Thrones: Book Review

on June 26, 2011
Officially finished this afternoon.

I'm posting two reviews below, one completely without spoilers and one with minor plot points and a full commentary since so many people have read it as well. I'm curious as to others reactions. I'm specifically mentioning this because this book has tons of spoilers, and now there's the mini-series as well, so please beware if you're in the middle or interested in either one. I would love to hear comments too, but please keep all spoilers contained to what's in the first book since I hope to read the next one.

Non-Spoiler Review:
I'm really not sure how long I've had this book. It's been awhile. Months. There were definitely months in between receiving it, starting it and finishing it. So my memory is a little hazy about the beginning, which is unfortunate, since it appears a lot of important things were said. Unfortunately, there are so.many.characters. that you're too busy trying to keep up with them and not able to process all the background information at that point in the book.
Or at least I wasn't able to. Maybe you're awesome.

The beginning took forever. There was so much information thrown at you. In fact, I look back and wonder if that's why it took so long to read. I specifically remember at around the 450 page mark thinking "Finally! Something's happening!" and hadn't realized I had felt that way until that moment.

The first 450 pages? Months wading through what is practically prologue.
The last 450 pages? I read it in three days.

And that's the difference. The last half of the book is really a great ride and by that point you can fly through the characters names, not always trying to remember which lord of what is this and who's their nephew and brother by marriage, blah blah blah.

Overall, I think I liked the book. There's way too much politicking for my taste, but hey, its called "game of thrones." There were sections of this book I really loved. And others that drove me crazy. But most of those were supposed to drive you crazy.

As for if I'm reading the next one, the plan is to try. I'll definitely pick it up (after Gilead) because I really want to know what's going to happen at this point. But if it takes me forever to read again, I may not finish it. I wanted to finish the first one. We'll see how the next one goes.

End of non-spoiler review.







SPOILERS:
I loved the last chapter. Loved. The whole second half of this book is on fire.

My favorite character is certainly Jon Snow (and, of course, Ghost). If I were to name other favorites, I would name Arya, Robb (especially that last half!), Ned, Tyrion & Dany. And if I were to name people I would like to punch in the face it would be Cersei, Joffrey and boy-king Robert.
Seriously. There are too many boy kings. And too many Roberts.

The page 450 mark I mentioned (where things started happening) was when Catelyn finally reached the Eyrie. After that, things flew.
And speaking of which, the entire Eyrie sequence is really disturbing. Again. Boy kings. Mommy, I want to see him fly made me twitch in anger. Why is this kid in charge again?! Oh right. His mom is crazy.

Also, it's unfortunate to decide to read just one more chapter at 1:30 in the morning and it just happens to be the chapter where Jon meets the whitewalkers in the tower.
....
I thought I was going to have nightmares.

I love the direwolves as companions. I love that Grey Wind follows Robb into the battle.

I like the use of the Dothraki, but the rape scene when they pillage that first town just about made me sick. I know this book is graphic - I mean, that's about 600 pages in - but that was rough.

And I'm not a fan of trying to keep up with lord so and so who's third marriage was to such and such and their second child is out to kill ahhhhhhh....! Too many names.

And by the end every other page someone is claiming the throne. But! That's what you should expect.

Overall, I really liked it.

So I've heard the next book sails along? I would love to continue the story as it sits right now. What a fantastic ending.

4 comments:

Travis said...

*This comment contains spoilers*

I remember describing this book as 'a Shakespearean history play placed in a fantasy setting'. Sooo many names. Political intrigue. Wait 'til you start really getting into it. By the end of the fourth book, you'll think the whole first book was prologue, instead of just the first half.

My favorites were Jon and Tyrion at the end of the first book. Robb's a good choice (I liked him even more later), and so is Arya. (Sansa annoyed the crap out of me.) I'm a little surprised Jaime and Viserys didn't make it to your least favorites list (though they had a lot of competition in the ones you did mention).

I was so shocked when the killed Ned! I remember realizing at that moment that no matter how the story ended, nothing was ever going to be the same. That, I felt, was the point of no return.

How do you think Dany's return will affect the situation in The Seven Kingdoms?

Incidentally, I couldn't get enough of these books. Yeah, there were moments that I could've done without reading, but the story was compelling enough that I could overlook them. The rest of the books move very quickly, now that all the introductory material is out of the way. Though I suggest not waiting too long to read the next one because the story is so complex that details tend to fall out of your brain.

Anonymous said...

CONS
Too many names: check
Slooow startup: check
Needlessly dwelt upon sex and violence: check
A variety of super annoying perspective characters: double check

And yet...

PROS
Jon and Ghost
Mindblowing worldbuilding
Characters who are both good and bad (i.e. human)
A superb ending

Some of the cons were too important for me to keep reading on eagerly, but the more time that passes after I read it, the more favorably I remember it. Let me know your thoughts on Book 2!

Sherri said...

Yeah, Kelly, your list pretty much wraps up exactly how I felt. The more I think about it today, the more I like it.

Travis, I had totally forgotten about Viserys! I hated him. I think I forgot about him because I kind of cheered when he was crowned. And felt like he got what he deserved.

People keep telling me Jamie becomes a sympathic character, but at least in this book I have yet to see it. He didn't quite make my punching list simply because Robert-boy-king beat him out.

I have no idea how Dany's return will affect everything. Will the other khals follow her? Will they shun her?

DRAGONS!

Travis said...

I'm completely with you concerning my reaction to Viserys' crowning.

And, yes, Jaime does later become, if not likeable, at least understandable. (Wait until you start getting into his and Cercei's POV. Ugh!)

As for Dany...perhaps that's a conversation best left for later.

Post a Comment