Summer Movies: X-Men First Class

on June 6, 2011
I'll be the first to admit I know very little about the X-Men. While I'm beginning to enjoy the deep history X-Men provides - as well as their rich slate of characters - I'm still at the phase where I'm putting characters, timelines and stories into place. There's so much to untangle. And mostly the only energy I put into discovering it is piecing it together from friends conversations.

That being said though, I was really looking forward to this movie (and very sad I had to opt out of the midnight showing). I have no idea if I ever saw X1. I don't really remember it. X2 I enjoyed quite a bit (of course, it had Nightcrawler) and X3 confused the life out of me.
(From what I gather, X3 did that to most people anyway.)

So speaking as someone who really doesn't know anything:
I loved First Class! It was so well done. The acting was fantastic, I was intrigued the whole way through and loved watching these well-known characters come to life from the start. (And I loved James Mcavoy as Xavier. He was my favorite, with Beast as a close second.) I felt they managed to give enough time to each character so you could invest in them - and not just have name after name thrown at you. Which is what I felt the first three were missing to an extent.

What a great battle scene. The opening scene was fantastic. The closing scenes were fantastic. Heartbreaking.

And while we're on the topic of summer movies, have you looked at this years lineup?

Let's start at the beginning. Movies I want(ed) to see.
Thor
Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides
X Men: First Class
Green Lantern
Harry Potter 7: Part 2
Cowboys & Aliens
Captain America: The First Avenger

And thaaaaat's just the summer.

And then there's some sprinkled in there that I wouldn't mind seeing, but not necessarily sold on either. And I may have missed some.

And, of course, James Bond.

0 comments:

Post a Comment