Wedding, wedding, wedding

on August 3, 2011
Dun dun dun.......THE WEDDING.

Okay, no need for that. But sometimes, you just have to. Yes, you do.

The reason you didn't hear much about this wedding prior to it was mostly because the bride hadn't settled on some details, and I finally told Pam to just catch me up the week of. So... I really didn't know a lot about it until the flowers were arriving.

But this wedding was a ton of fun. It was large, but still a fairly simple setup. Also, it was at a fancy schmancy country club in the city which was a lot of fun - and getting to interact with their wedding coordinator was fantastic because she was awesome. We also ended up arriving an hour earlier than we anticipated and just had tons of time to make sure everything was exactly what we wanted.

First off, here's what the back of my bosses van looked like:

And that's just the top half of the reception pieces, friends.

And that also explains why I ended up driving up ALL the glass vases...when it was the one thing I repeatedly said I didn't want to do. Ha! So much for that. (Actually, it turned out great. Everything was so tightly packed they couldn't go anywhere anyway. I just thought it was really funny.)

The big uncertainty for us on this wedding is brought to you by the letter 'W'. That's right, a 'W' was taking us down. No, we just simply hadn't made one before and with the our well-known state winds, we simply didn't think this would stay:

The Ceremony Site:

YEAH. Our W!

Haha, it actually didn't take us that long and it didn't turn out to be that big a deal. We were mostly concerned about the rose petals blowing away and they never did (even with an unexpected storm brewing...I told you, DUN DUN DUN.) But it did have to be pretty funny watching my boss and I stand there and debate whether we had it in the right shape. ("Sherri, somethings wrong!" "No, it looks great!" "No, something's really wrong!" "You're parano...oh wait...the center's upside down! The center's upside down!") Ahahaha, and we even had a stencil. It was hysterical.
200 roses, folks. That's about 200 roses right there.

What's that? You want a close up to admire all those pretty shades? Of course:

Oooo....aaaah....

Okay, now the rest of the ceremony site:

There were two of these pieces, one on either side with all that gorgeous ruskus draping and curly willow adding so much pretty height, and green dendrobium orchids and hydrangeas and pink callas and sweet william and.... aww... I really, really liked this color combination. Green is is a perfect color on its own, but it really makes all the others shine as well.

The Handhelds:
Bridal bouquet on the left, bridesmaids on the right. All callas. In a bit of a role reversal, my boss made the bridesmaids and I made the bridal, as much to my surprise as I'm sure it is to yours. Blush blush...


The bridesmaids wore black dresses, so those black pins were perfect to tie all the colors together. And my, isn't that a pretty handle wrap! Those suckers are harder than they look (at least for me. I get glue EVERYWHERE.) After all our weddings this year I'm just now getting...um...a handle...on them...can't.figure.out.any.other.wording...ahhhh! PUN NOT INTENDED. Lets move on.

If I were to talk to you about flower detail and what about this picture makes me weak at the knees floral wise, I would point out those stunning green tips on the white callas. Love. Gives them such a natural, yet incredibly elegant, appearance.



Reception:

I really, really love this style and this is partially what made this wedding so fun for us. This style is super popular right now in the wedding world, but we haven't had many opportunities yet here to apply it. The reception centerpieces were in two parts: the bottom half is a glass cylinder filled partially with black rocks and then the rest includes curly willow all wrapped up with a few mini callas. The top half includes pink asters, callas and alstromeria, with fuchsia sweet william & carnations and green dendrob's & hydrangea. And that's curly willow giving it all that fantastic height. (Yes, those are airplanes in the curly willow.)

Seriously, I just couldn't get a picture that would do them justice. My boss created the design, it was really lovely.


Top Half:


Lower Half:
If I were to try and pick a signature style, I think I would automatically tend towards this look. I really, really enjoy the submerged or flowers tucked inside the vase - especially for weddings. In fact, a lot of receptions now use this look without the top half - just a few callas & rocks down inside the cylinder. I'm a big fan of that too.

The only thing was it was HOT. We actually only had to be outside about 40 minutes, but that was long enough. We hadn't had enough (any) water that day and by the time we finished up and I was leaving I immediately hit a gas station for some water.
And an hour before the wedding suddenly we noticed this storm clouds starting to move in...and then while we were having our what-does-a-W-look-like debate, we started hearing thunder, and seeing more clouds. But, happy ending, they made it without any bad weather.

I love working on-site with my bosses. There's so much I can pick up while we're out there that you can't learn in the shop. We've got one more big wedding in September that should be really pretty, and then we're out of it for a little while. Which makes me a little sad. Especially when you've just come off one this enjoyable.

In other news, my family arrives TONIGHT! Yaaay! Woo wooo woo!

(Also, a short interview with Tom Hardy aka Bane on Dark Knight Rises! A slightly disconcerting comment regarding the ending, gah! But no spoilers, obviously.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment