The Wojahn Visit #2: Arbuckle Lake

on August 19, 2011
Truth be told, for the longest time I couldn't remember what happened between that first couple days involving the cemetery visit and the lake (which was near the end). Which....is sad.

Although the other day I thought "Wait, what was the world's longest word again? ... ... Ha, it's totally MANILAPINYATAPEI!"

But that's not accurate. Because I can't find it on google. And I can't remember how to spell it. Because its terribly long. And apparently its not the world's longest word anyway. SO I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER WHY IT WAS IMPORTANT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
But I do remember it means when two people look across a room, catch each other's eye and think the same thing. And I can sort of pronounce it. Because there's an entire song written about. BECAUSE IT EXISTS. I KNOW IT EXISTS.
So. There.

Eventually I did remember what I believe those four days entailed. And it was fun. My family came down a lot and we played canasta. Lots of kids. Lots of silliness. I walked into my room to find my almost-four-year-old niece button mashing my new laptop. This had happened several times, but it is always on password protect when they're down so its no big deal. But somehow this time the screen read "Continue system restore or delete all data? Ha, and she was still smashing keys! So after leaping to Jon's protection, I was pretty impressed. Not that I wanted my data deleted, but that's some mad button mashing skills. Someone give her a game controller.

Anyway, so that Monday Brent, Diane, Brian & I loaded up in their car and began heading towards Sulphur. My cousins make an annual summer trip to Sulphur and we were joining in. If you've never been there it's a natural spring (that is COLD) and goes out to form lots of deep pools of water, small waterfalls, creeks, etc. So imagine our surprise when my cousins called to let us know it was dry. Sulphur was dry. That still leaves me sort of speechless. I started watching ponds along the way and noticed most of them contained very little water, if any at all. This drought. Something's gotta give.

Well, we were already over halfway there so we kept heading that direction when Sam & Kris called back with the solution: Arbuckle Lake.

Arbuckle Lake is beautiful. And it was really perfect. Not only was the water blissfully warm, but it was clean (I totally admit: the thought of swimming in a dirty, stagnant lake makes me shudder.) But no, it was huge and the wind was constantly working the waves and the entire time was lovely. I had a massive sunburn for three days and Charlie started calling me Red. But it was worth it. We should totally go again.

So I guess this became less a post about what we did at the lake, and more about well...everything else. But y'know. We swam. We ate. It was a good time.

Thanks to everyone who made my birthday wonderful! Thanks to Phyllis, Amy & Betty for lunch & all those beautiful girls for making me feel super special with handmade birthday cards. Grandma & I went out for dinner to Red Lobster and I've done nothing the rest of the evening. Watched some Lost, listened to some music. It's been pretty lovely. :)

1 comments:

Travis said...

I searched for about 30 minutes, but I couldn't find the word you're looking for anywhere. Also, if you search for MANILAPINYATAPEI on google, your blog is the only search result. (Incidentally, the longest word I'm aware of [I know there are longer words, but most, if not all, are medical terms] is antidisestablishmentarianism.)

Also also, how does Sulphur Springs go dry?! Doesn't that water come from deep underground? It seems like it should take a severe, decades-long famine to affect it. That boggles my mind.

Post a Comment