Tony, Tony, Tony, Tony....

on May 26, 2010
I survived! And so did my car. Thankfully. And instead of taking six or so hours (as I was initially nervous about), it only required three. Awesome. Chick-Fil-A was involved and therefore the entire trip was worth it. Sadly, however, I did not get started on Till We Have Faces. This summer, it has to happen. It's a must.

Apparently the Tony Awards are around the corner (June 13th). I, however, haven't kept up with the broadway scene in general this year. Truthfully, I lost interest a few seasons ago. Somewhere along the way I began to feel jaded and tired of defending something that kept turning out musicals like, oh, Shrek and Spamalot.
(Note: I've actually seen Spamalot. And I thought it was hysterical! This is merely an example of a genre. )

Nonetheless, I went and looked at the lineup. Essentially, I only recognize American Idiot and Fela!, but practically only in titles alone. Yes, I realize the former is the Green Day musical based off the record. And that pretty much ends my knowledge of all the Best Musical nominees (for anyone interested, the other two are Memphis and Million Dollar Quartet.)

But what really interested me was Best Performance of a Leading Man in a Play. Check out this loaded category:
Jude Law... Hamlet
Alfred Molina... Red
Liev Schreiber... A View from the Bridge
Christopher Walken... A Behanding in Spokane
Denzel Washington... Fences

Also, American Idiot is only up for Lighting & Scenic Design Awards. Explain to me how you can be up for Best Musical and not even nominated for direction or book categories? (It's not an original score, hence, it cannot be up for the music.) Blah, this is one reason I became so frustrated.

And no, I'm not ignoring Best Play. I simply just don't recognize any of them either:

In the Next Room or the vibrator play...Author: Sarah Ruhl
Next Fall...Author: Geoffrey Nauffts
Red... Author: John Logan
Time Stands Still... Author: Donald Margulies

Actually I recently read an article on Red and that it was about artist Mark Rothko starring Alfred Molina, and how Molina began his Broadway career in Art and is now coming full circle with Red but that's all I remember. I also read an article about In the Next Room but I remember nothing, so that certainly doesn't help you now.

Really, the only names I recognize are in the revivals and there I recognize them all. Ragtime, Finian's Rainbow, La Cage aux Folles, and A Little Night Music.

And Best Original Score:
Addams Family, Enron, Memphis, & Fences

Best Revival of a Play:
Fences, Lend Me a Tenor, A View from the Bride & The Royal Family

For any other nominations, click here.

Also, I love this. And am highly amused by this. (Thanks Will!)

G'night everyone! Sweet dreams!

0 comments:

Post a Comment