I hugged a bucket of daisies today.

on February 5, 2011
You know it's cold when...
You're going to get flowers out of the cooler at work. And upon entering said cooler you flip around in a panic to check the thermometer. Certainly it has gone out again since it feels like a sauna. But then it dawns on you, no, it's at its regular 50 degrees, where it always stays and you shake your head. :)

I have to say though: the shop usually feels like an icebox, and this time around it was not nearly as bad. Maybe its because Bobby was okay with leaving the temperature up to 80 degrees. Or maybe it's because I finally have this clothes combo of tights, jeans, two pairs of socks, boots, tank top, thermal top, long sleeve top, vest, hoodie, hat, scarf, gloves down. Either way, I am content.

I did go back into work for Thursday and today. I have not driven since Monday home from work - my bosses have kindly been picking me up. The roads are still pretty treacherous in parts, particularly the side streets. While we're hoping to get out at least once this weekend to pick up some essentials, I won't be traveling out much beyond that. Three more inches fell this morning, and I have to say that it was really beautiful.

The being said it is causing problems. The story for us is funerals. Within three days of February we had nine services on the list (our total for January ended up at 60, by the way). A few were postponed earlier in the week preparing for this snowstorm and after today's snowfall a couple were postponed again. We haven't been able to get any flowers in since Monday and are working strictly on what we have in the coolers for family pieces. That is why when I desperately ran to the cooler, expecting to find my white daisies already missing, I hugged the bucket that held the few precious blooms left.
And then turns out the funeral was postponed and I didn't need them after all.

As for me, I have to admit I'm relishing this "trapped in the house" thing. Certainly by Monday my tune will have changed - it will be Valentine's week, I will be tired of it and want to get my car out. But since the last few weeks have entailed my leaving the house almost every single night, I love that I'm snowed in. Haha, you can't get me. I'm trapped in my house. It's pretty glorious. My own personal snow moat. The introvert in me is so giddy I skipped around the house all of Tuesday.

But that will be over on Monday. Our flower arrivals for the big day were supposed to be here this past Tuesday and they're trapped in the city (we did finally get some in today). We're expecting more flurries Sunday night and "significant snowfall" Tuesday night. I've been looking to figure out what "significant" means in this case. Will our flowers be frozen? Can our vans make the deliveries? Am I going to be sleeping at the shop? Details, weathermen, details! Your flower shops are hanging in the balance! ;)

On the bright side of the snow, check out this sweet face:


Aw...such a doll. Little Lex was certainly excited to go out and play! :) I love that girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment