A Flowery Post: ArtNow 2012

on January 26, 2012
So last Friday we had a great opportunity at the shop to provide flowers for the City Arts Center's largest fundraiser of their year. It was a lot of fun and we even had a chance to go, so it was an enjoyable evening. (Oh, and they had chocolate covered strawberries from the Melting Pot....) 
Flowers!

I loved my bosses piece for the large table.





We also did about ten cubes for bistro tables that were placed throughout the exhibits. In the end I was really pleased with the way they came out. Initially I was a little anxious with my bosses concept since it was going to be a modern art show and the flowers we were choosing (and style) was not really.... stylized. But they ended up being a perfect fit: relaxed enough to soften the atmosphere and not compete with the other art, but just a touch of something fresh or sleek to make them stand on their own when noticed.

Anyway, since I was so pleased with them and since sometimes you ask what I do at work, here are some of my cubes:


I think this is my favorite. Thank you lily grass for standing so nice & tall! :)

This technique is called nesting. I haven't actually attempted it much - but I see it everywhere - so it was nice to try. I like the look, I'll have to play with it more often.




Heh, yes, same arrangement, just a different shot. I just liked the pic. :)
And okay, since most of you have asked for this picture:


 Also, while I'm already talking flowers and to condense the number of those posts, my boss had this amaaaaaaazing casket piece a few months back. Amaaaaaaazing.





Seriously, the amount of skill that went into this just wows me.

I mean, from that table this thing is almost reaching the floor. If you need a visual for size, it stretched across the top of the entire casket. While full couches (read: casket pieces that span the entire length of the top) aren't necessarily unusual anywhere, they're not really common in our area. Its true a lot of that is due to budget, but its also due to the fact that people open the casket during the service and want to slide the arrangement down to the end. So an opportunity to watch her build one is rare. (I had no work on this one. All her. I just observed and helped move the sucker.)

Anyway, that's what we've been up to. :) Valentine's Day is two and a half weeks away, we just began consulting an a wedding for the summer and we're slowly transitioning over into spring. Huzzah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment