Phantoms: Side by Side

on January 9, 2012
While browsing through Youtube the other night I found this:




YAY! A side by side comparison of ten classic Phantoms! (My only question is, where is Peter Karrie?)

(Also, I love that someone made this. This is what I used to do with all my clips. Play them back to back and compare. Over and over and over.)
I've since found other sections compared, but I haven't got to break those down yet. Plus, this one is from the title song.

And since I was getting frustrated that I couldn't keep track who was who, here's the breakdown:
1) Michael Crawford :00
2) Colm Wilkson :40
3) Anthony Warlow 1:21
4) Brad Little 1:59
5) Hugh Panaro 2:36
6) Earl Carpenter 3:15
7) Howard McGillian 3:57
8) John Cudia 4:35
9) Ramin Karimloo 5:12
10) John Owen-Jones 5:48

Of course, it's not entirely accurate since its just one clip from each. Nonetheless, whoohoo!

So, a quick summary merely based on this clip, Hugh Panaro really caught me off guard as a favorite. I did check out other clips and his voice didn't seem as strong, but in this clip its really nice.

Of course, Anthony Warlow is always my personal favorite.

I actually had the opportunity to see Earl Carpenter in London and I LOVED him. I don't remember his voice being that quavery, but I really loved his character and his voice was really strong.

I've always found Colm Wilkinson incredibly interesting. While I couldn't stand the Canadian recording for the longest time because I could only hear Valjean's voice, and I'm still not entirely crazy about it now, his voice is so distinct. And that's how the Phantom's voice should be. Very powerful, very distinct. I do really enjoy that.
And I love his handling of "I Gave You My Music." Its just heartbreaking.

I also really like Karimloo (mostly because of this amazing clip) but I keep getting distracted by that electric guitar! I guess it just seems so much more prominent in that one.

Anyone? Anyone else up for listening through them all and giving a review? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment