2011 Year-in-Review: Part 2

on January 2, 2012
I hope everyone is home safe & sound from New Year's Eve and that everyone had a blast whatever they may have been doing. Mine was great: Will was actually in town and so we went to the Barons game with Holly & Sam. The Barons lost, but that last period was so fun to watch that I'd really like to make another game sometime where they actually show up the whole game. And obviously the company was fantastic. However, we were in Bricktown and it was not only packed but cold & incredibly windy, so we opted to duck out of the elements and into a nearby IHOP where we ended up ringing in the new year. Which was pretty funny as the wait staff were singing and dancing their way to whatever song was on the radio here & there throughout the restaurant.
Also, we went to Spaghetti Warehouse before the game where I had this tiliapa & shrimp on angel hair pasta and it was delicious. I MISS YOU GARLIC BUTTER & BREAD. I MISS YOU LOTS.

Ahem.
And so without further ado: the last of my 2011 wrapup.

6) Train & Maroon 5
In all seriousness, this was one of the most fun nights of the year for me. Regina had never been to a concert before and so when we were able to get so close (compared to the usual) I was super excited. We were giddy. It was great. While I enjoyed both bands, I would really love for Maroon 5 to come back through especially now that I know some more of their songs.

5) FIF Freak Out
Truth: When I first heard FIF was getting back together I was excited and sort of worried at the same time. Not that I didn't think they could be great again - and I even believed that they would never do it unless they could be - but since they left at the top of their game, well. I just would rather they go out on a high note then try to come back and fall apart. And then they did the smartest thing they could have done: they released a song on their Kickstarter page, an incredible song. And though I nervously hit the play button I was already leaping up and down when the horns first started because as crisp and clean as they were I knew they were really back. Within 45 minutes they had reached their goal of $30,000 and as of now they're almost to $180,000. When they reach their goal date in January they will as to date be the most funded music project in Kickstarter history. This rocks.
 
4) Roadtripping
I went on three solitary roadtrips this year and I've learned that that is awesome. Not that I never want to roadtrip with people again or anything, but I loved getting to just be by myself in the car for hours on end. I need & I crave solitude. Eight hours in a car is just about perfect. Besides, at the end of the roadtrip there was always wonderful people that I was super excited to see. So I'm glad I've discovered that I can do it.

3) The Weight Loss
I really haven't talked about this too much on my blog, mostly because I'm really bad about saying "Hey, I'm doing this!" and then I stop. (In which case, I'm slightly afraid of happening now.) But I am super pleased with this and so I want to risk it. In 2010 - due to all sorts of stress and events - I gained at least if not over 25 pounds. And in the first half of 2011 I lost it and have so far maintained that loss through diet & exercise (and My Fitness Pal which is brilliant and I could never have done it without it.)  Am I at my dream perfect weight? No, but I'm at a very happy weight and that I'm learning is far better. I can still eat sweets and enjoy some of my favorite foods without feeling guilty and I'm slowly learning how to choose (and want to choose) healthier options. I really wanted to go the slow & steady route this time and rewire my brain how to eat and that takes time. I'm just now at the point where my brain recognizes "Hey! You just ate fries with four meals in a row. You should probably stop that. Your body wants something healthier." and that's awesome that its getting there.
Really, in 2012 I hope to at least maintain and continue to slowly shift my focus to make small but important healthier choices. Trim and maintain is more the endgame this time, whereas last year I was just desperate to drop that weight.

2) Christmas
I've already blogged about this Christmas once, but its easily worth mentioning again. This has been the first Christmas I have not had to battle off depression in over ten years. And this has been the first New Years that I have not battled off intense depression in the same amount of time. I'm just at a total loss of words about it. I don't even really know how to respond except this: God is good, He is kind and He is merciful. I fully recognize this is by His hand and I pray I'm wise enough to let it soak into my skin and return it through praise.

1) A Change of Me
Ten points if you can name the musical reference! (Hint: It was added to the show long into its run.)
If you had told me at the end of 2010 that by the end of the coming year I would be wearing makeup I would've probably laughed at you, but only out of fear that you might be right. I was at the verge of becoming more and more accepting of femininity but not quite there. In truth it probably sounds like such a silly thing to agonize over, or even mention, but it really represented a lot for me. So in true introvert fashion I mulled and poked and prodded and pulled my hair out over the issue before I finally settled on an answer. And once I do then its usually settled.
Honestly, I don't even feel entirely comfortable talking about it on here yet - or even out loud much - because its still so fresh and new. I'm still discovering it, still poking around trying to feel out its corners. And don't get me wrong - I don't equate makeup as the defining characteristic of being feminine. But for me its a curious turning point and the physical change to a lot of internal groundbreaking from last year. It's silly, its fun and I find that most intriguing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment