The Valentine's Day Vote: For Shawnee-ites

on January 22, 2012
Truthfully, politics and I don't mix much - especially local politics. I have no idea what's going on in my small town most of the time. (Not as true anymore because my boss knows all - otherwise I would have no clue.) And that's true in this case as well. While it has had articles in the paper, I honestly would have had no real idea this was occurring if it hadn't been brought to my attention.

I know, that makes me a lazy citizen.

But despite my personal avoidance of most things in this nature, I'm still a little aghast that the powers-that-be in Shawnee (ha! a rhyme.) seem to be so deadset on this upcoming park and that a lot of people don't really seem to know it's happening at all. (Again, usually I would be one of them.)

And that really, really bothers me in this case since they're trying to raise our local taxes.

So here's the deal from what I understand. (Though I won't pretend to be unbiased in my opinion.)

The ballot will have these items on it and the one I'm particularly interested in is the first one. Taken direct from that website:

"Prop 1: Expo Center/ Family Activity Park:
The purpose of this proposition is to provide revenues for funding capital expenditures for the use and benefit of the City, including improvements at the Heart of Shawnee Exposition Center ($2.5 million) and the design, construction and equipping of a Family Activity Park ($19 million).Funding: $21.5 million (funded by 0.50% increase in sales tax)."


$19 million?! 19 million?!?!
Wait, wait, wait....

First off, you're raising taxes. Considering our town just announced a few months ago that it had a huge budget shortage due to sales tax receipts being low - because people leave Shawnee to go shop in the city - raising taxes does not seem ideal. This would put us up to a 9% sales tax. How exactly does that provide any incentive to stay local? I would tell you exact numbers on OKC tax rates, but currently the Sales Tax Locater appears to be down on the OK Tax Commission website.

Also, what's the cost of sustaining this park? In this video they mention that it will be an expected $340,000 annual operating costs - also paid through the sales tax. In another video they say that they "hope" it will be sustaining. That....doesn't sound promising to me. That concerns me. What if its not? What then?

And am I wrong or wasn't it not that long ago that some of our schools were considering a four day school week to save money? If you're going to raise taxes, aren't there more basic things we could be using this for?

Look, I'm not against building a nice sports facility and I'll admit the conceptual drawings look pretty cool. I'm also all for improving the city. But I still think this is a lot of money. I also know in the past Shawnee has underbid certain things and they've ended up costing a lot more than they initially planned. I realize things like that happen but if that happened in this case - are we potentially looking at a $20 or $21 million park? Are we looking at actually $500,000 in operating costs? Is there anyway that facility could ever sustain itself without completely using taxes? Because at this point it looks like you're raising taxes entirely for this one facility. (Sure, the Expo is on there too, but I feel those renovations will be nothing compared to the cost they're talking here.)

Personally, I just can't do that. I'm completely open to your rebuttals, I will totally listen and am willing to change my mind if you can. Also, I'm frustrated that the vote is on Valentine's for obvious reasons, but I do plan to somehow get myself down to the courthouse if I get off in time. 

For? Against? Had you heard about it? Did you realize it would be that much money? Did I get something wrong? (Please correct me.) What do you think?

My one request: Currently, I prefer my blog not to be mentioned on the wall of Facebook. Anywhere else - private messages over FB, text, whatever else is fine. I don't really expect a blog to be private - nor do I think many people would really be that interested - but FB is just too populated a place and it for some reason it bothers me. Its never been a problem in the past, but I just thought I'd mention it since I asked for response. Thanks! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment