More Side-by-Side Phantoms: When Sherri meets Owens.

on February 24, 2012
The Ultimate in Side-by-Side Phantoming:



Drool.

That is (left to right) Anthony Warlow, John Owen Jones, Colm Wilkinson &....Peter Joback? (I was immediately disturbed I did not know Peter Joback. I thought -somehow- in my Phantom wanderings I had missed a classic Phantom. Say it ain't so! No, he's actually new this past year to the role and picking up the tour this year in London. Relief.)

Okay, so it gets a little creepy when the five Phantoms are surrounding Christine (Sarah Brightman) and demanding she sing for each of them at the end, but eh.

The man who actually comes out in the Phantom mask halfway through is Ramin Karmiloo, who was playing him that evening. Michael Crawford doesn't sing, although he does show up at the beginning and end of the video.

If nothing else, you should at least flip forward to 9:30 in the video to see John Owen Jones sing the choicest note in "Music Of the Night" absolutely perfect. It's just gorgeous. I'm so torn on whether Jones or Warlow really shines best in this video. They're equally lovely in voice. I've always heard beautiful things about Jones' performance, but this is just total knockout. I actually admitted tonight he may be better than Warlow. (Gasp! That's so hard for me to say!) I can't tell if it's because Owens gets the really stellar lines or what. But either way, hearing them duet a few lines - and seeing Colm Wilkinson back onstage as well - is beautiful. This was a really awesome tribute for the fans. Especially since we have NO OFFICIAL RECORDINGS OF THESE TWO. NONE, WEBBER.  Out of ALL the Phantom recordings that exist - and there are a lot - somehow we have managed to miss two of the greatest and most classic Phantoms in its history. Sigh.

We still demand an Australian Cast Recording.

0 comments:

Post a Comment