And I hear the prairies calling out Your Name.

on September 8, 2010
"Well the moon moved past Nebraska and spilled laughter on them cold Dakota Hills...

I'm a little at a loss tonight to translate what I'm feeling from spirit to screen.

"There is this silence in the Badlands and over Kansas the whole universe was still by the whisper of a prayer, the whisper of a prayer...

Tonight after church we went, per usual, out to eat. And there were some topics brought up that made me lose my appetite. I drove home later feeling better but some things still nagged at me.

"And the single hawk bursts into flight and in the east the whole horizon is in flames...

It rained all day today and it was really wonderful to feel that release in the air.
I was listening to it pour and decided to pull up a Rich Mullins cd I recently bought on iTunes.

"And I feel the thunder in the sky, I see the sky about the rain, and I hear the prairies calling out Your Name.

Sometimes I forget how big God is. Sometimes I forget He's still really sovereign and still fully in control and how that means everything is under Him. And I forget how good He is and how beautiful He is. Until I see videos like this.

"I can feel the earth tremble beneath the rumbling of the buffalo hooves and the fury in the pheasants wings... And it tells me the Lord is in His temple and there is still a faith that can make the mountains move. And a love that can make the heavens ring, I've seen love make heaven ring...

And suddenly I'm reminded of how huge He is. Of His majesty. Of how good He is. And that He who brings up the sun every morning and the moon every night, will be there for us, constant, perfect, ready. Even when I don't understand, even when I'm tired or lonely. Even when I forget. He's still there.

He who cares for the sparrows.
Who cares for the cattle.
Who gives names to the stars.
Who is the keeper of the plains.
Who loves you. And me.

Who loves Africa.
And a boy who needed a home.
And a family here who wanted him without knowing him.

Who knows the sewer children in Russia.
Every child soldier in Uganda.
And of the conflict in Sudan.

The floods of Pakistan.
The pain of Haiti.
The loss of Sumatra.
The rage of Hurricane Katrina.

Every woman raped.
And abused.
Every lonely widow.
Every angry orphan.
Every struggling man.

He knows. He knows. The good, the bad, the ugly, He knows. And whether we recognize it or not, He's taking care of it. He had already planned for it. We go along for the ride, we struggle and pray and cling and grow and wait in hope for something better.

And because He is good it will come. And He will create a new heavens and a new earth. And God Himself will be our light.

"I hope that this thirst will not last long, that it will soon drown in the song not sung in vain. And I feel thunder in the sky I see the sky about to rain and I hear the prairies calling out Your name."