Thoughts at Work

on September 19, 2010
I'm getting really sleepy, so this may or may not make sense at times. But I'm not going back and editing this one as much. :)

This week I had a lot more opportunities to work on larger casket pieces ($250 & up) than I usually have the chance to do. I really enjoy this - I'm now at a stage where I can complete a piece and recognize my mistakes. While it turns out satisfactory (we wouldn't send it otherwise), I can certainly see where I should've worked on an angle here, draped a little more there, carried my greenery through here.... Detail work. A chance to work on my technique (even if I'm slow).

I'm excited by this because I really love completing sympathy work. I love meeting the families and working with them (okay - some are crazy, but most are super sweet). I love that chance to step in and hopefully be helpful at a very specific time of need. This is what I love: not only do flowers provide that last gift from the family as well as that needed touch of comfort, but honestly, they can provide pure beauty. Pure beauty at a time when everything else is falling apart.

I love my shop, because they've taught and encouraged me how to work hard to understand the family's intent on the look they want to portray (He was all country...she loved roses...he was far out, can you do something in turquoise?)and to pull it off is worth so much to me. This is where my satisfaction is and this is an aspect of my ministry.

I also love the men that come in that genuinely want to send their wife or mother or loved one something pretty, whether they've given it tons of thought or just walked in off the street unsure. Those guys can make my day. I still find it incredibly sweet.

However long I stay in this business obviously cannot be seen and could even end tomorrow. But this is what I love about my work right now, even on the days when the customers drive me wild. I love that opportunity to step between two people's lives or in the midst of a family and work to create a moment, memory or gesture with beautiful flowers between them.

Sweet dreams. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment