Starting 2011 off with a Bang: At the Movies

on January 8, 2011
Wait, did I just say in my previous post that I saw very few movies in 2010?

I guess they were all waiting for the tail end of 2010 or 2011 to come out. Which I was expecting to some extent seeing that Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and Thor were both coming out this year. I also knew that in 2011 more info on Dark Knight Rises would be coming out seeing as it currently is set for a 2012 release.

But I didn't expect to see four movies in one week.

So, although three were actually released in 2010, here is my opening movie list for 2011:

Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Setup: While I have read synopsis' and bits and pieces of the book in various commentaries- no, I haven't read the whole thing. Not even close.

The Review: But I loved this movie. Loved, loved, loved. And considering how disappointed I was in Prince Caspian that really surprised me. The visuals are still gorgeous, the characters were beautiful (Eustace was perfect.) I know a lot depended on how well this movie did to determine whether more will be made. And after Caspian I was on the fence, but after this one I sincerely hope they continue them in this vein. Although sadly, I suspect it didn't do well enough at the box office.
(In case you're wondering, I also loved the movie form of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.)

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part 1
The Setup: Yes, I have read all seven books. And while I've only read the 7th once, I have read the rest multiple times.

The Review: I was a little anxious about this one because honestly I was pretty disappointed in the book. I think a lot of my initial disappointment came after I had lived off of intense hype for months by the time the book came out. And it went in such a different direction than any of us expected, there was no room for anything but disappointment. I need to go back and reread it.
But the movie was wonderful! I'm so excited for Part 2 now. I felt the movie did a good job of shaking up so much of the book's middle section that I struggled through and loved the section at the Ministry. The animation for the reading of Tales... is gorgeous. I was so pleased and will hopefully see Part 2 much earlier than I saw Part 1.

True Grit
The Setup: No. I have not seen the original. Honestly, I didn't even know there was an original until someone mentioned it in reference to the new movie just recently. The more you know.

The Review: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, though admittedly not as much as the two just mentioned. Its worth going alone for the Western visuals, the girl playing Maddie Ross (who is outstanding) and Jeff Bridges who is so fun to watch on the screen as Rooster. My only real issue is that by the end of the movie I was sick of hearing Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, but that's about it. Also, I can't envision John Wayne as Rooster, so I guess I will have to see the original someday.

Unstoppable
The Setup: Inspired by a true story that I had also never heard of.

The Review: I'm not disappointed I saw this movie, but I'm also glad I didn't pay more than a dollar fifty for it either. Unstoppable does feature Denzel Washington, which is a plus, but it also takes forever to get moving (no pun intended). If you don't remember the trailers its essentially about a runaway train. Its based on an actual runaway train from 2001 in Ohio, but of course the movie adds in ten times worth of "inspiration" to the actual tale. Nonetheless, when it finally gets going you do enjoy watching Denzel and the other guy try to stop it (that's not a spoiler- you know it's going that direction from the get go not to mention the title) but that's about it. Also, I can't remember the estranged wife saying anything other than her husbands name as her only line placed here and there throughout the movie. Hm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment