You're my sunshine, oo...

on January 29, 2011
Today was a gorgeous, slightly breezy 75 degrees. Tomorrow has a high of 44 plus a wind chill. Tuesday we're being told to expect a major winter storm. Some forecasters have Wednesday & Thursday morning with a high of 6. 6. Bemusement, bemusement.

Anyway.

It's been a weekend of seeing friends.

Last night (Friday) Julie, Jenny & I celebrated Christina's birthday with her in the city. We munched down at Chilis and then wandered over to the Blazers rink for some ice skating. I've been ice skating before - only twice, but both times I succeeded slightly better than I expected so I assumed this time would go about the same.
This time I barely made it three laps and only by clinging to the wall on the third lap, falling onto the bench as my ankles gave way. Hm.
I did finally make it another round on Julie's skates which were three sizes smaller and fit much, much better. Oh, and Christina kept me from falling, which was awesome. I enjoyed it though and really think that if there was a rink within 15 minutes driving distance I would probably take a session of lessons. Nonetheless, I was terrible at skating this night. :)

Today was so beautiful that Regina & I soaked up some beautiful sunshine walking over to Holly & Sam's house. The three girls chatted while Sam worked off his cold playing video games, and then off to Pizza Hut where Philip, Eric & Brad joined us. And then Regina & I left for ice cream and a movie (Tangled) while a game of DnD commenced. A mini movie review is below, if you're interested.

A lovely weekend as we launch into....Valentine's Day.

Yes, it's true, we're two weeks out from the big day so if anyone's ordering flowers, order now. We'll be starting our main set of preparations this week. The weather may be an issue this week - no, it's not the big delivery day, but it's the week a huge chunk of our flowers arrive. Freezing weather during shipment? Hm.
All this to say, posting may be sporadic, but it's already that way, so you probably won't notice a difference. :)


Tangled
What I Knew Going In: The trailer, which leans heavily on the male character of Flynn Rider, and a lot of commentary on how Disney had marketed the movie so heavily towards boys.
The Movie: Was super cute. But I can see now how heavily it really did play to boys, because this movie was not what I expected from the trailer. This movie is a very traditional Disney princess movie. Sure, there are times when it's stretching it a bit, but it's forgivable over the great characters and fun lines. And Maximus, the horse, who is beautifully done. Personally, there were several scenes "borrowing" from Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast and at times felt like it was a smashup of the two.
Simply put: it's a Disney princess movie. If you like that, you'll love the movie. If you don't like singing princesses, don't go.


For those interested in the situation in Egypt, there is this live feed constantly running footage and information. They are also rerunning segments at times for people just tuning in to catch up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment