Watching

on January 28, 2011
I wasn't keeping up with the situation in Egypt at first. Mostly because it seemed to come out of nowhere and I guess I suspected it would stop as quick as it came. Then I saw where their internet access had been shut down and suddenly realized this was getting much larger than what I expected.
And when it came to the earlier protests in Tunisia, I had no information, period. This article actually clarified a lot of my questions about Tunisia and Egypt and their similarities and differences.

I can't offer comments on either, because I know absolutely nothing about the whole situation, except what I learned sifting through articles and commentary tonight. My mind can't even fathom the protests that have been occurring and I am at a loss about what it may be causing across the rest of the world.

Personally, my eyes have been on Sudan for the past few weeks during their voting. The residents were voting on whether to continue as one country or split into two, creating Africa's new country. But the government is shaky and despite their agreements there's an uncertainty that the President will allow the country to split even if voted for. (Results from the vote are expected in early February, with the latest date for an announcement being Valentine's Day.)
Sudan's north and south regions have been at war for years, and their President is wanted for war crimes for the mass killings and rape in Darfur.
If the south splits, their going to have to not only figure out their leadership, but also potentially deal with the thousands of displaced people that may return. (Current estimates say 2.5 million people are displaced due to the Darfur conflict.) There is also the large issue with the oil wells - the oil is in the South, but flows through pipes in the North for exporting.

As always with the Mideast, there is more going on here than meets the eye. Please keep all these thoughts, countries and people in your prayers this week.

This article is being continuously updated about Egypt if anyone wants to keep up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment