When the storms roll in.

on April 23, 2011
Storm season has finally arrived in the state. Its true that we need the rain (and still do) but I've genuinely missed hearing the claps of thunder that are common throughout our spring season. I love storm season. But I also have a healthy respect for it and I know it does no good to be foolish. Things always seem to happen the one time you don't plan for them.

Last night the Plumbs & Pucketts were having their Easter gathering. I was already planning on running a few errands before heading their way, so I was in town longer than I would have originally been. As an unexpected storm began to blow its way in, Regina & I dashed to gather all the leaves she'd raked before the rain destroyed all her hard work and I hurried to the house to grab my Easter dessert.

When I ran into the house I asked grandma if there were any chances of tornadoes.
Sure
, she said, we're under a watch.
Hm.

I know Tornado Watch does not equal There Is A Tornado, but the air felt different and I was skeptical.

Then I think you should come with me to the Plumbs.
Oh honey, I'll be fine, I'll just get in the closet.

....

No coercing would get her to come with me, and knowing she would never let me stay, I formed a backup plan. I knew the Nickerson family was coming into town for dinner and there would be some extra helping hands nearby.

I know this sounds extreme, but if the weather gets bad, please make sure my grandma gets to safety.

This is the beautiful thing about my friends and loved ones in the area: I have so many people I could call for backup in situations like this and they would be more than gracious. I have no doubt she would be completely protected with any of them.

I was driving towards the interstate ramp when the sirens suddenly went off. I could tell we were in no immediate threat, but the priority was still to get back home. As I was doubling back and trying to call someone, anyone, who would have an eye on the weather all the signals were jammed and I could get through to no one.

So as I rounded the corner to my street there in my driveway was my pastor getting out of his car. He had already arrived to take my grandma to safety, just in case. My knight in his now drenched blue long sleeved shirt.

It wasn't that I was surprised to him - I had already tried to call him and let him know I was on my way. But the sheer kindness of it all still warmed my soul. This is a great example of the beautiful friends & family I'm fortunate enough to have. These are the kinds of things they do. They're amazing.

The storms passed and I was able to make it out for Easter fun. I've really missed my kids (I love those sweet faces) and I was so happy for the chance to see everyone. But currently the reminder of how much love I'm surrounded by is even sweeter. Thanks, guys, for being awesome. And to Gary for being my superhero.

0 comments:

Post a Comment