The Birth of a New Country

on July 10, 2011
Indeed, it is official now: we have a new country in the world. :)
CNN: South Sudan a New Country

The Republic of South Sudan.

If you have been following anything coming out of Africa, you will probably have at least heard of the Sudanese genocide. The simple version is that there has been bloodshed and violence for decades in their country. Essentially, a constant civil war. The South has been devastated. And devastated is an understatement.

I don't understand all the details. There are too many cultural intricacies that I can't understand. Nonetheless, with the little I knew, I never, ever expected South Sudan to even have the opportunity to vote for separation. I just assumed it would never be allowed to happen. But the vote was allowed. And it was overwhelming the numbers to split. And after much anxiety, the vote was actually honored. And as of Saturday, well.... This sentence brought a smile to my face, that even surprised me how much I was pleased to see it:

"South Sudan took a seat at the world's table early Saturday as citizens of the new country took to the streets to celebrate."

That leaves me pretty speechless.

That is not to say, however, that there won't be pitfalls immediately following their jubilation. Now decisions have to be made, especially the establishment of government and the decision between the North & South over their oil. Please pray for both countries. There is so much pain. And there is now so much hope in their eyes. I'm so grateful for that hope. Praise God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment